Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Quick Day 2 update


The guys made it to the Waverly checkpoint around 9:50 last night with 40 minutes to spare before it closed. That relieved a lot of time pressure. The next checkpoint in Miami is open until noon today so they could paddle on to camp, get some sleep and coast in there with time to spare. Now they start banking hours.

They did another 22 miles before stopping to camp at Hill's Island, just past the quarter point of the race, our day one minimum requirement. Jeff and I were camped at Grand Pass, (my old nemesis) just 11 more miles away, but that would be another 2 hours minimum and the fog was starting to settle in.

They got a good 5 hours sleep and cruised the 11 miles to us. We pulled them in at 8:20 and gave them a hot breakfast of corned beef hash and some coffee and fruit and sent them on their way. I'll see them at Dalton Bottoms around 2:45 for lunch. Jeff headed out to take a shower with some truck drivers. Sounds like a redneck turkish spa to me, but I may have to give it a go before this is all over.

I'm going to do some grocery shopping and then head to Dalton Bottoms to hang their wet things out to dry and do the breakfast dishes. Camping is a lot like being at home except every basic task becomes a huge pain in the ass.

Here is some more wildlife.





I know you want video and stuff but you'll have to be patient. I might get a chance to do some editing today.

3 comments:

  1. Would that be the Toad that was hopping around with his other toad buddy in Patrick's sleeping bag this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the race is on! Just checking on your progress....and wishing you all a safe and successful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You heard toad? I heard it was a very lonely carp.

    ReplyDelete