Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The MR 340, Part One


Tuesday, 5:30 am: I want to go back to bed.
Thunder, Lightning and rain. Great. Looks like the Paddlephile luck is holding out. We get a good breakfast in us, (thanks Julie!) and roll out to Kaw Point to get the boat in line.

Tuesday, 6:15 am: Yep, that's a line alright.
Apparently everyone thought this would be a good time to show up. It's pouring, the wind is howling and there's lightning everywhere. The ramp, and every other square inch of ground is covered in canoes and kayaks of every variation. We're lucky to find a parking spot at all, it's gonna be a bit of a walk with the gear.

Tuesday, 7:00 am: I guess I could have gone back to bed after all.
Patrick checked in with Scott, the start is delayed for at least an hour. We're sitting in the truck flipping through AM radio stations and trying to stay dry. I'm sure the canoe will be full to the brim with water when we get back to it.

Tuesday, 8:00 am: Hurry up and wait
Things are looking better and people are starting to put in. With 272 boats and one ramp, the start time is now 9:30. The boys are in line and I'm scouting for a good place to watch the start.

Tuesday, 9:30 am: And they're off!
I found a great spot to watch the start. It also would have been a great spot to put in. No line. Seems like a handful of more experienced racers already knew about this spot. Oh well, next year that will be us.

Tuesday, 10:30 am: Taking advantage of city life while I still can
Turns out my ATT internet service gets me free wi-fi not only at Starbucks, but McDonald's too! w00t! First time McDonalds has been good for anything in my life. So here's a post for you. Laura will try to keep you up to date here while I'm out of range. Meanwhile, here are some photos from the start. See you soon!


Nice day.


The Queue


How many Paddlephiles can you spot in this picture?


Where they should have put in.

The biggest boat in the race


Where they shouldn't have put in, but did


...and the rocket's red glaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarre...


And we're off!!

Video of the start to come later! Laura is in charge until I get back!

1 comment:

  1. The biggest boat in the race looked like a raiding party. Folks down river, beware!

    ReplyDelete