Thursday, July 30, 2009

The MR4, Part Two


Did you read part one?

Is this your first time here?

Previously, on Paddlephiles

While on the island, Kate's insecurities threaten to get the better of her as she's hit with constant reminders of Carly. Sonny tries to reassure Kate that his relationship with Carly is in the past. Meanwhile, an angry Karpov kills his lawyer in front of Jerry. Karpov orders Jerry to take care of Matt after Jerry tells him Matt might have infiltrated the counterfeit drug ring.

Now, the conclusion of The MR4 on... Wet Is The Paddle

Saturday 7:00 am: Why did I think I would need an alarm?
I got up 30 minutes before the alarm and got some coals going and the coffee on. Except for a slow percolator breakfast goes off without a hitch. After breakfast and a cup or two of coffee, the guys start preparing to put in. Mike hops into the jeep to drive down the ramp so we can offload the canoe. Click, it doesn't start. Shit. You can't be serious.

Now what you need to understand about the Jeep is that it's lease is up in ONE WEEK. I swear that thing is programmed to fry the battery right before you bring it back so you pay for the new one instead of the dealer.

Saturday, 8:30 am: Were it not for the kindness of strangers...
Lucky for us, the local yocals are showing up to fish and they are very friendly and helpful. One of them has a portable charger in his truck and they slap it on the battery. No luck. Another fellow drives off to the local mechanic to see if he's available. After a brief review of the symptoms, it's decided it has to be the battery. We get a proper jump from a locals truck and leave it running for now. I'm advised there is a NAPA in Brunswick just a bit farther down the main drag. We try to slip them a ten spot for helping us out but they wouldn't hear of it. Instead they settle for a warm up out of our percolator.


Saturday, 9:07 am:
The boys put in and strike out for the Missouri, I'm pulling into the NAPA. Because I'm occaisionally clever, I refuse to turn the engine off until I verify that they have the correct battery. Of course they don't. I radio the guys, 'negative for battery at the NAPA, heading back to Marshall.'

Saturday, 10:00 am: Marshall, MO. YET AGAIN
I leave the Jeep running outside the O'Reilly while they see if they have the battery. They do. It's a special battery that costs $149. You've got to be kidding. I assume what's special about it is that it's programmable to fail on a specific date. I can see how that would be worth the extra hundred bucks. I'll have to interrupt the paddle and get Mike on the phone. He talks to the parts guy and explains that any battery that will keep it running for one more week will do. I doubt the guy has sufficient expertise to make a proper substitution. At least now I can turn it off so he can test it.

It tests fine. So does the alternator. Not only is it fine, it's 100% charged from the drive from Brunswick. I decide to gamble and not replace it. It would seem something was just left on overnight. I'll be sweating it every time I turn it off today, but at least I don't have to lay out $149 of my own cash to fix someone else's car.

The guys are just moving into the Missouri. It's 24 miles to Glasgow. We'll meet there for lunch, I'm guessing around 2.

Saturday, 11:15 am: Glasgow, MO, We Got Sand!
...but nothing else. It turns out the ferry ride across the river in Glasgow costs $8. There are no signs warning you of this until you are pulling onto it. Even if you could back out, you'd have to go an awfully long way back to find a bridge. I'm on the ferry, across the river and off again in 5 minutes. I can't help wondering how much of the cash this guy is pocketing. They don't seem to be keeping track of how many cars are crossing.

I need to find water and pick up lunch for the guys but there is no store to be found in Glasgow. I'll have to press on to Booneville and stock up, then return to meet the guys for lunch.

Saturday, Noon: My first stroke of luck.
After making a wrong turn and wasting 20 minutes and about 30 gallons of gas I luck my way into Fayette. It has a store. I grab a couple of lunch specials from the deli and 3 gallons of water and head back to Glasgow to wait.

Saturday, 2:00pm: Lunch
We aren't the only team running through here today. While waiting for the guys I met fellow Kansas City team Pappy and Son, nice folks and fast paddlers too. After the boys arrived, we also met Cynthia and David from 'Yes, We Can!' In both of these instances our reputations had preceded us and there was much ooooohing and aaaahhhhing over their brush with the famed Paddlephiles. Our road manager gave them some autographed 8 x 10 color glossy photos. We politely declined the request to sign their naughty bits and sat down to lunch.

Yes, We Can!, by the way, is running with no ground crew. I didn't get a lot of detail on how that is working out for them but I did notice they paddle with a bicycle in the canoe, presumeably to ride back upriver to get their vehicle. I'm going to be monitoring their progress during the race.

Saturday, 2:35 pm: Eye of the Tiger Baby
The guys are ready to put in for Franklin Island. Yes, We Can! is about 15 minutes ahead and we're waiting for the ferry to do its thing. This is the perfect opportunity to add a competitive element to the training. Find the other team, and crush them.

If for some reason you want to watch the entire 5 minute video of two guys waiting for a ferry, despite its complete lack of entertainment value, you can do so here.

I'm off to explore Booneville and find my own lunch.

Saturday, 3:15 pm: Lisbon Bottoms
On my way to Booneville I see a sign that says 'Lisbon' and I can't resist trying to find a way to get to Lisbon bottoms. I find a wildlife refuge along the river and damned if I didn't find a great spot to park and walk a bit to the bottoms. I wouldn't want to camp here or try to put a boat in or out, but it wouldn't be a bad place to meet the guys with water or whatever else they need.

Lisbon bottoms

Wildlife

Saturday, 4:00 pm: Booneville, MO
Mike had recommended I check out Snoddy's. It's the first thing I see as I get into town and I've got 4 hours to kill. You can buy 3 things at Snoddy's; groceries, hardware and firearms. Unfortunately the gun shop is closed at the moment. I don't need groceries or hardware so I move on to find a lunch spot.

I find a great one called Stein House. I highly recommend them to any other ground crews looking to take a break in Booneville. 421 Main St, it's hard to miss. I have a great lunch and 3 barley pops.

Tasty

Saturday, 8:00 pm: Franklin Island
Yes, We Can! and the Paddlephiles hit Franklin Island at about the same time. Thankfully, we're done. Cynthia and Dave wave goodbye and paddle on to Cooper's Landing. The guys did a great job picking up the pace on this last segment. I think we've got a chance.

Yada yada yada, we drive home. It's late and I'm tired of writing, here is some more video.


Coming soon: The MR 340 and anything else I have time to post.


No comments:

Post a Comment