Friday, July 22, 2011

Race Day!

Just a quick note to let everyone know we'll be heading for Manhattan, KS in about 30 minutes to get this show on the road. This race will be uncharted territory for us but we're hoping our experience will carry us through. There are some serious concerns, particularly the heat. 100 degrees today, 101 tomorrow. I don't know about the heat index and I don't think I want to.

There is also a bit of a dark cloud today as last week a fellow paddler lost his life training for this race. This was not related to the heat as far as we know. It seems he tried to take the dam in Topeka by boat and didn't make it. Our hearts go out to his family and I know everyone in the race will be thinking about him.

The race starts this evening so with any luck we'll avoid the worst of the heat until tomorrow. I'll update as I can. For now, I gotta run.

1 comment: